May 29, 2016 | by  | in News Splash |

Salient Mid Year News Wrap Up

Best Thing in the News

Discovering that NZ’s tax policy is super cushy for foreign investors. Those trusts eh, gotta love a nice tax break. RNZ and TVNZ unite!

Cringiest Thing in the News

Everything to do with Season Two of The Bachelor NZ. Sorry but we couldn’t resist. Also, screw you George FM for consistently being misogynistic and horrible.

Coolest ‘Small Time’ News

Siobhan O’Connor’s Trend Report was a smart breakdown on the ethics of New Zealand fashion companies. Turns out all of your fave brands probably use sweatshops!

Best News Reporter

Shout out to news writer Charlie Prout who wrote about trans health rights, the Wellington binder exchange, the Proud Hui, and for annoying the shit out of Grant Robertson every time he sees him about improving trans healthcare in New Zealand.

Worst Thing in the News

National won’t increase our refugee quota; Prince died; New Zealand continues to have horrifyingly high rates of domestic violence and child abuse; Donald Trump; the flag referendum was a waste of time; families having to move into motels due to a housing crisis; David Bowie died; there are no houses; anything about Millennials.

Best Headline

Tie between: “You can’t sit with us—protesters picket the Young Nats’ ball” by Jennie Kendrick in Issue Seven and “The limit does not exist: VUWSA choose their mathletes team” by Kate Robertson in Issue Eleven, because you immediately win at life with a Mean Girls reference.

Biggest Mystery

What in the heck is going on with Karori Campus? We don’t know! We are trying to find out! Like every week we are trying to find out! Does the council want it? Does the government want it? Do investors want it? Is this just a get-rich quick scheme by the university? Who knows?

Best ‘Students R Fuk’d 4 Eva’ Story

A tie between all of the stories where we talked about student debt going above $15 billion this year, and how the government is now planning on arresting us if we gap it overseas and stop paying the loans back.

Best VUW News Story

The bunk bed story, where it was revealed that baby students were being squished into bunk beds at late notice, with little alternative options, due to a pretty significant fuck up from the university.

Biggest Freak Out Moment

Salient’s editorial team came under the fiery wrath of Victoria University Chancellor Sir Neville Jordan literally the first week on the job. Turns out what we think is satirical is a disgusting travesty.

Best ‘Unreserved’ Apology

Salient.

Biggest Disappointment

MASSIVE magazine for delivering their students an offensive cover, and then repeatedly denying it was offensive even when students and staff sent a letter saying they found it offensive. Editor’s note: it was offensive.

Coolest Lizard Person (aka politician)

Who’s gonna run the world’s united (albeit dysfunctional and pretty ineffective) governing body? Queen Helen Clark. Yaass.

Coolest Human

Beyoncé? Taiki Waititi? James Shaw? Hilary Barry? Bernie Sanders? Duncan Grieve?

HELP US

Undoubtedly there’s plenty of drama and secrets and scandals floating around campus that we have not yet uncovered. If you have any news tips or want to help our news section be straight fire please flick us an email at news@salient.org.nz.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con