May 15, 2016 | by  | in Books |

Sport 44: New Zealand New Writing 2016

★★★★★

Editors: Fergus Barrowman, with Kirsten McDougall & Ashleigh Young

Publisher: Victoria University Press

Sport is an institution of New Zealand publishing and has shared short fiction, poetry, and nonfiction with a wide audience since 1988. Published annually, it’s a fantastic way for both new and established writers to showcase work, and serves as a roll call of our most highly-regarded voices.

The 44th issue of the magazine features cover art from Elyjana Roach, and is packed to the brim with exciting work. Poetry stalwarts Bill Manhire, Jenny Bornholdt, and Gregory O’Brien are here, as well as a bevy of newer voices: Lynley Eameades, Nina Powles, Alexandra Hollis, and many more.

In the fiction category, Kirsten McDougall brings Brazilian writer Clarice Lispector back from the dead to cook eggs in a world without internet; Kate Duignan writes affectingly of the complexities of motherhood in a story of two women meeting on a beach; Damien Wilkins shares an excerpt from an intriguing new work.

In nonfiction, Helena Wiśniewska Brow tells of the pitfalls of memoir writing: “But I’d wronged him. In my book, his truth was hollowed out, unrecognisable.” Chris Tse writes of photographs, memory, and travel; Nick Bollinger recalls nights spent at the Union Hall, immersing himself in local music. In an emotional piece, Emma Gilkison shares the story of her unborn son, who suffered from ectopia cordis, a condition where the heart grows outside of the body.

While Sport publishes work from all over New Zealand, Wellington has a strong presence and lurks amongst its pages. Aro Valley, Ngaio Gorge, Miramar Peninsula—even the Mount Street cemetery, still a favourite haunt for students and cigarette breaks—jump out to meet you. There’s something special about reading what you know, the thrill of I know that place!  

The selections in Sport 44 took me to the other side the world, before whisking me safely home.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,