Students strike sky-high rent

A strike against the cost of student accommodation in the UK that began with 150 University College London (UCL) students has swelled with a drastic increase in new members from across London.

Now included in the strike are frustrated students from Goldsmiths, University of London, the University of Roehampton, and the Courtauld Institute of Art.

The ongoing strikes are being driven by the excessive financial strain of studying.

In response, the rent of 1224 UCL rooms have been halted or reduced. Further, the university has implemented a 2.5% reduction in rent prices across their entire housing program.

A review of “unacceptable” living conditions at the beginning of the year started a poor relationship between UCL officials and its students.

The university was forced to pay out £400,000 (over $850,000 NZD) to redeem the substandard quality of their halls of residence.

Students from across the city are concerned that high rent prices will detrimentally affect the amount of London uni-goers altogether.

Director of UCL estates, Andrew Grainger, has defended the fees, saying it’s a “fact of life” that not all will be able to afford the cost of study in London.

University officials are now facing a possible fourth rent strike in 12 months.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,