Students strike sky-high rent

A strike against the cost of student accommodation in the UK that began with 150 University College London (UCL) students has swelled with a drastic increase in new members from across London.

Now included in the strike are frustrated students from Goldsmiths, University of London, the University of Roehampton, and the Courtauld Institute of Art.

The ongoing strikes are being driven by the excessive financial strain of studying.

In response, the rent of 1224 UCL rooms have been halted or reduced. Further, the university has implemented a 2.5% reduction in rent prices across their entire housing program.

A review of “unacceptable” living conditions at the beginning of the year started a poor relationship between UCL officials and its students.

The university was forced to pay out £400,000 (over $850,000 NZD) to redeem the substandard quality of their halls of residence.

Students from across the city are concerned that high rent prices will detrimentally affect the amount of London uni-goers altogether.

Director of UCL estates, Andrew Grainger, has defended the fees, saying it’s a “fact of life” that not all will be able to afford the cost of study in London.

University officials are now facing a possible fourth rent strike in 12 months.