May 1, 2016 | by  | in Sports |

The Mount Victoria Bowls Club

The anticipation of winter has been building over these uncannily fine autumn days, and with it, the Mount Victoria Bowls club winds down into its off-season. The communal box of jacks and bowls is locked away and the clover is left to grow. Those familiar with the spot will be dreaming of next summer, when the old-man pines overhanging the green will again be golden in the evening sun, splif smoke rising vertical through their boughs.

Such waxing lyrics are biased, born out of my many summers of social lawn bowls. Come November, I encourage you: treat yourself. When you’re looking for things to fill your first summer away from home, when you need the perfect start to your weekend, or you need the perfect hangover activity with the flat, the Mount Victoria bowls club is the spot.

The green fee for a social membership is a one-off thirty dollars. The double shots of Grants Whiskey are two dollars, and the jugs of Export Gold are seven dollars. By my reckoning you should have your membership paid off in beer savings alone within the first two weeks, this is assuming you maintain the proper level of commitment to the club.

Such commitment involves a willingness to escort some old codger down into town after a few and have him follow you into a bar (up Mighty Mighty’s stairs, in this case). Or, in another pursuit, one flatmate may have to consent to a middle-aged largely large lesbian threesome. Of course, these are all small prices to pay for the community and the price of beer.

For the most part, the Mount Vic Bowls club is an incredibly endearing and positive place—and beautiful. Scrolling through their blog posts: “Ka Pai Kay!” “Well done Bradley & Amber!” “National Title for Leigh & Kristen! Well done Robyn, Sarah & Nicole.” They say it themselves on their front page: “A good time is never hard to find.”

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip