The sickest new dean

Professor David Murdoch, the current head of the Department of Pathology and a microbiologist for the Canterbury District Health Board, has been appointed the new dean of the University of Otago in Christchurch.

He will replace incumbent dean, Professor Peter Joyce, when he steps down in September.

One of Murdoch’s goals for his time as dean is to grow the global influence of the University of Otago in Christchurch, and encourage interaction between it and the rest of the world. He has already branched connections with the wider Canterbury health community.

The appointment has been well-received from all corners of the university, with praise coming from the incumbent Dean, and from the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Otago, Harlene Hayne.

Professor Joyce remarked, upon hearing the news, “David will further enhance the campus international reputation as a centre for health research and education.”

David Murdoch has long-standing ties with the University of Otago, having earned his medical degree there before moving to Nepal.

In Nepal he worked as a doctor, where he saw people grow ill from vaccine-preventable diseases, and influenced his work in infectious diseases.

Besides his involvement with the university and the district health board, David Murdoch is one of the leaders for One Health Aotearoa—an alliance between human, veterinary, and environmental health researchers.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip