The sickest new dean

Professor David Murdoch, the current head of the Department of Pathology and a microbiologist for the Canterbury District Health Board, has been appointed the new dean of the University of Otago in Christchurch.

He will replace incumbent dean, Professor Peter Joyce, when he steps down in September.

One of Murdoch’s goals for his time as dean is to grow the global influence of the University of Otago in Christchurch, and encourage interaction between it and the rest of the world. He has already branched connections with the wider Canterbury health community.

The appointment has been well-received from all corners of the university, with praise coming from the incumbent Dean, and from the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Otago, Harlene Hayne.

Professor Joyce remarked, upon hearing the news, “David will further enhance the campus international reputation as a centre for health research and education.”

David Murdoch has long-standing ties with the University of Otago, having earned his medical degree there before moving to Nepal.

In Nepal he worked as a doctor, where he saw people grow ill from vaccine-preventable diseases, and influenced his work in infectious diseases.

Besides his involvement with the university and the district health board, David Murdoch is one of the leaders for One Health Aotearoa—an alliance between human, veterinary, and environmental health researchers.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this