The sickest new dean

Professor David Murdoch, the current head of the Department of Pathology and a microbiologist for the Canterbury District Health Board, has been appointed the new dean of the University of Otago in Christchurch.

He will replace incumbent dean, Professor Peter Joyce, when he steps down in September.

One of Murdoch’s goals for his time as dean is to grow the global influence of the University of Otago in Christchurch, and encourage interaction between it and the rest of the world. He has already branched connections with the wider Canterbury health community.

The appointment has been well-received from all corners of the university, with praise coming from the incumbent Dean, and from the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Otago, Harlene Hayne.

Professor Joyce remarked, upon hearing the news, “David will further enhance the campus international reputation as a centre for health research and education.”

David Murdoch has long-standing ties with the University of Otago, having earned his medical degree there before moving to Nepal.

In Nepal he worked as a doctor, where he saw people grow ill from vaccine-preventable diseases, and influenced his work in infectious diseases.

Besides his involvement with the university and the district health board, David Murdoch is one of the leaders for One Health Aotearoa—an alliance between human, veterinary, and environmental health researchers.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,