The sickest new dean

Professor David Murdoch, the current head of the Department of Pathology and a microbiologist for the Canterbury District Health Board, has been appointed the new dean of the University of Otago in Christchurch.

He will replace incumbent dean, Professor Peter Joyce, when he steps down in September.

One of Murdoch’s goals for his time as dean is to grow the global influence of the University of Otago in Christchurch, and encourage interaction between it and the rest of the world. He has already branched connections with the wider Canterbury health community.

The appointment has been well-received from all corners of the university, with praise coming from the incumbent Dean, and from the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Otago, Harlene Hayne.

Professor Joyce remarked, upon hearing the news, “David will further enhance the campus international reputation as a centre for health research and education.”

David Murdoch has long-standing ties with the University of Otago, having earned his medical degree there before moving to Nepal.

In Nepal he worked as a doctor, where he saw people grow ill from vaccine-preventable diseases, and influenced his work in infectious diseases.

Besides his involvement with the university and the district health board, David Murdoch is one of the leaders for One Health Aotearoa—an alliance between human, veterinary, and environmental health researchers.

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city