VUW Awards Esteemed Criminal Justice Expert an Honorary Doctorate

Kim Workman, one of New Zealand’s most esteemed criminal justice reform and corrections policy experts, has been awarded an honorary doctorate by Victoria University of Wellington.

Workman was awarded the prestigious doctorate in recognition of his contributions to improving New Zealand’s criminal justice system over his 57 year career.

Victoria University Chancellor Sir Neville Jordan said Workman had “made a significant contribution to the thinking and practice in relation to criminal justice and public policy.”

Beginning his career as a police officer, Workman has taken on many roles including heading the Wellington Police Youth Aid section. He has also worked for the Office of the Ombudsman, the States Services Commission, the Department of Māori Affairs, the Ministry of Health, and the Department of Justice.

Workman graduated from Massey University in the 1980s, and from VUW with a Graduate Diploma in Arts, majoring in Religious Studies, in 2012.

He continues to contribute to the university by giving occasional lectures and is awaiting publication of his new book, The Criminal Justice System, the State and the Māori—From 1985 to the Present, which examines the criminal justice system in New Zealand over the past 30 years.