VUW continues to build and name things

Over the mid-trimester break, renovations and construction on Victoria campuses have continued—shock. Salient therefore thought it might be a good time for an update on what the fuck they’re actually up to.

There has been demolition carried out in the Maclaurin building, with changes to fire exits and access to MCLT103. Work has started on the facade of the building and the windows are being put in.

Culliford Drive, which acts as the Gate Seven access to campus, is expected to narrow down to a single lane road due to the Gateway construction area, but traffic management has been put in place. Further general construction noise like hammers and nails and drills will continue.

The building that houses the International Institute of Modern Letters on Waiteata Road is to be renamed the Bill Manhire House. This is in recognition of the service done by Emeritus Professor Bill Manhire for the university and to honour his contribution to New Zealand writing.

The small toilets on the ground and mezzanine floors of Rutherford House are closed until further notice, however the larger toilet facilities (male and female) will remain available on the ground floor. There is construction being carried out on the lift lobby on the ground floor after 5.30pm, so students who need to use the lifts after this time will need to go up to the mezzanine floor.

In Trimester Three, further major development to the main building on the Te Aro campus will commence.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this