May 15, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

Earning money is like breaking up with your highschool sweetheart: either you do it, or you end up destitute, miserable, and filled with regret.

Until the revolution comes, and we can all live in a communist utopia, the capitalist free-market is a reality of life. With that sombre thought in mind, to survive with a better quality of life than that of the thatched-shack-in-a-field, turnips-thrice-daily-serf-of-old, we must throw ourselves into it. Deep.

We students just don’t have enough money to do everything we want. We have to pay the bills (and the rent if you’re into that sort of thing), buy clothes, food—so much food. It all needs the money. And many of us live on the pittance the government has been so kind to loan us, and which we will spend years paying back. (We’re going to pay it back John, but if we’re going to start our young lives yoked in crippling debt, at least let us borrow what we need).

As VUWSA Treasurer (or like, Master of Coin, Baelish—makes me tingly) it’s clear to me that there are two ways to improve finances: spend less, earn more.

It’s an easy trap to fall into spending every spare moment in a job to keep your head above water. But that costs your time, which is worth more than minimum wage. Instead do cheap things. Spend an hour sitting on one cup of coffee with someone you like. If the conversation’s good, you can make it last two. Dress up, go to a car dealership and test-drive a Corolla or something that they’ll believe you’ll buy, and then tell them you’re, “weighing up your options.”

You can sell your time for currency, but you can’t buy it back.

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city