May 15, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

Earning money is like breaking up with your highschool sweetheart: either you do it, or you end up destitute, miserable, and filled with regret.

Until the revolution comes, and we can all live in a communist utopia, the capitalist free-market is a reality of life. With that sombre thought in mind, to survive with a better quality of life than that of the thatched-shack-in-a-field, turnips-thrice-daily-serf-of-old, we must throw ourselves into it. Deep.

We students just don’t have enough money to do everything we want. We have to pay the bills (and the rent if you’re into that sort of thing), buy clothes, food—so much food. It all needs the money. And many of us live on the pittance the government has been so kind to loan us, and which we will spend years paying back. (We’re going to pay it back John, but if we’re going to start our young lives yoked in crippling debt, at least let us borrow what we need).

As VUWSA Treasurer (or like, Master of Coin, Baelish—makes me tingly) it’s clear to me that there are two ways to improve finances: spend less, earn more.

It’s an easy trap to fall into spending every spare moment in a job to keep your head above water. But that costs your time, which is worth more than minimum wage. Instead do cheap things. Spend an hour sitting on one cup of coffee with someone you like. If the conversation’s good, you can make it last two. Dress up, go to a car dealership and test-drive a Corolla or something that they’ll believe you’ll buy, and then tell them you’re, “weighing up your options.”

You can sell your time for currency, but you can’t buy it back.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip