May 22, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

I was thinking, I could use this column to recommend a playlist for upcoming exams, but tbh, why do what a computer’s already done? That’s what Spotify’s Discover Weekly algorithm-magic was made for.

There are many online articles exposing how the magic works, but in many ways it’s similar to how Facebook suggests new friends based on mutuals—you listen to song A, I listen to songs A and B, it suggests song B to you, and suddenly everyone from your third-form class are in your friend suggestions.

But like waiting for Netflix to buffer, and being told to “please restart to install update 3.1.4.15.9265.x” of whatever, it’s not perfect, but still cooks you up an amazing personalised playlist of songs you’ll mostly love (and just a couple that are shite).

I’ve never been sure how to categorise my personal music tastes—Female-Scandinavian Electronic / Canadian Indie / 80s-Rock / Everything Stevie Nicks / a spattering of the Top 40 / whatever—but Spotify seems to have found connections between many of these artists, and already has huge playlists that are similar to Discover Weekly, but for entire music genres.  

For example, if I were to check out Spotify’s “Sounds like Indietronica” playlist, it seems to tick all of my above boxes, with over 700 songs from artists I love, and ones I’m still yet to enjoy. Similarly, Spotify’s “Sounds of Synthpop” has enough music for me to have a two-day, non-stop party in my ears.

Even more specifically, Spotify has an online list of their 994 genres (which also helps influence Discover Weekly) that you can search and use to discover music of your own tastes (just google “Spotify genres”).

Anyway, back to that study music recommendation? Niki & the Dove’s new album is pretty sweet, and I’ve been jamming a bit to MØ recently too. Good luck!