May 29, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

The Bad

Recently VUWSA made a submission to the university regarding the future of the Foundation Studies pre-degree pathway, which mostly affects international students who are coming to Victoria.

On Monday morning Vic News, the university’s internal newsletter, arrived in my inbox with a section on consultation.

VUWSA’s submission to the university was that the programme should be kept in house in the interest of the student experience and education quality.

VUWSA stood alongside the VUWSA International Students Association, in opposing the outsourcing of the Foundation Studies program.

I found out via Vic News that the university is commencing conversations with third party providers to outsource the programme by 2017.

I am disappointed the university has chosen to progress with outsourcing Foundation Studies. I am disappointed the university dismissed the overwhelming submissions against this proposal.

Does Victoria value its students or its bottom line?

The Good

My opinion is that VUWSA is great. As Academic Vice President I lead the Education Team. This is what our team is working on:

• We have submitted on the first round of the Productivity Commission’s New Models of Tertiary Education. The gist of it is that the funding model needs tweaking and the sector must ensure equity in delivery (find our submission at vuwsa.org.nz).
  • Working on an Online Alternative Guide from student perspectives on courses in preparation for course planning next year. Watch this space.
  • In the second trimester we are gearing up for Distance Class Reps and online training, an exciting initiative for the student voice offline and online.
  • Annaliese, our Education Officer, began a yearlong tutor review project looking at tutor remuneration and support. Complete the survey or link it to those you know, after receiving your input we are going to send the university some recommendations.

Keep warm!