VUWSA gives WCC oral submissions

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee and Welfare Vice President Rory Lenihan-Ikin recently made an oral submission to the Wellington City Council (WCC) to help shape their 2016/17 Annual Plan.

The submission centred around making Wellington a more liveable, student-friendly city.

Lenihan-Ikin spoke on housing and the Low Carbon Capital Plan. He told of students shivering so much that they “couldn’t sleep,” and one who had a room so damp there was mould growing on her dehumidifier.

With students preparing to “sink into yet another winter of misery and sickness at the hands of substandard housing,” he hoped the WCC would choose to be proactive.

VUWSA voiced support of the Low Carbon Capital Plan, but said it needed to be more ambitious if Wellington were to become a leading city in mitigating climate change.

Gee rounded out the occasion speaking about something VUWSA have been campaigning for since time began—public transport.

“We need a champion for tertiary bus fares and we ask that to be you,” Gee told the WCC. Their Long Term Plan sets aside $75,000 for tertiary bus fares.

WCC will now consider the received feedback to decide what will go into the Annual Plan.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,