VUWSA gives WCC oral submissions

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee and Welfare Vice President Rory Lenihan-Ikin recently made an oral submission to the Wellington City Council (WCC) to help shape their 2016/17 Annual Plan.

The submission centred around making Wellington a more liveable, student-friendly city.

Lenihan-Ikin spoke on housing and the Low Carbon Capital Plan. He told of students shivering so much that they “couldn’t sleep,” and one who had a room so damp there was mould growing on her dehumidifier.

With students preparing to “sink into yet another winter of misery and sickness at the hands of substandard housing,” he hoped the WCC would choose to be proactive.

VUWSA voiced support of the Low Carbon Capital Plan, but said it needed to be more ambitious if Wellington were to become a leading city in mitigating climate change.

Gee rounded out the occasion speaking about something VUWSA have been campaigning for since time began—public transport.

“We need a champion for tertiary bus fares and we ask that to be you,” Gee told the WCC. Their Long Term Plan sets aside $75,000 for tertiary bus fares.

WCC will now consider the received feedback to decide what will go into the Annual Plan.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop