Weldon leaves, no one cares.

Mark Weldon has resigned as CEO of MediaWorks NZ to the dismay of no one.

In an official statement Weldon cited the “personal cost” of the role as his reason for leaving. Many have speculated his decision was due to an internal mutiny brought to its apex by Hillary Barry’s resignation a week earlier.

This seems likely given the shots of Barry and fellow rebel leader Mike McRoberts carrying alcohol into the Mediaworks headquarters the night of Weldon’s resignation.

Weldon’s failures included ending everyone’s favourite (and NZ’s only legitimate) investigative news programme Campbell Live, culling 3D and Nightline, and the rebranding of 3News to Newshub.

Weldon introduced gossip website Scout whose director Rachel Glucina seemed to be the only one sad about his exit, referring to him as a “visionary, and inspiring leader.”

Prior to his resignation, Weldon announced channel FOUR would become Bravo, a reality TV station featuring six versions of The Real Housewives… aimed predominantly at “an older female audience.”

Visionary indeed.

MediaWorks is currently searching for a new CEO on Student Job Search.