July 17, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Dear white cis-gay men…

I might not know all of you, but I know many of you—I too, in fact, am one of you. And I write to you as the “wtf?!?” feeling that goes through my mind when I talk to many of you.

You see, we sit in a place of privilege within the queer community (a name I know many gay men despise—“we’re not ‘queer’, we’re just gay and that’s normal” etc. *eyeroll*). A position of such privilege that many of you no longer identify with the wider LGBTI community. You don’t want to get political—what are we even fighting for now that we can get happily married and live out the rest of our lives in blissful heteronormativity?

What a load of BS. LGBTI people are not well off, even if a small proportion of us are. Ethnic minorities among the gay community are discriminated against; in fact anyone who doesn’t fit our stereotypes of perfection are. Hashtag #NoFats #NoFemmes #NoAsians, sound familiar? It was only a month ago that America’s worst mass shooting was carried out against a Latino gay night club. Our trans and gender-queer community are still struggling with health access, bathroom access, appalling mental health records, and hell, even the simple ability for Victoria tutors to actually use their correct names. The world is still shit for the majority of queer people.

And the thing is, we owe these ‘queers’. Stonewall was the event that created gay liberation shock waves around the world, and it wasn’t the pretty white twinks fighting. It was the homeless street kids, the trans and gender queer, the people of colour, the drag queens who all rose up and fought for our rights to exist. You may feel comfortable, but many of those who got us to where we are still aren’t. Their existence, and ours, is still political.

So what? So give a fuck—get political, embrace our community, and above all, feel Pride.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this