Finishing in White

The New Zealand White Sox are still unbeaten at the Women’s Softball World Championship.

They now move through to the top-eight playoffs after beating Chinese Taipei 4-0 last Wednesday.

It is coach Kevin Gettins’ hope that the winning streak extends across the White Sox’s playoffs where games become knockout.

The championship began on an up note for the eighth-ranked team with an impressive win against Kenya (28-0), scoring 53 runs overall in their first five games.

Pitcher Rita Hokianga has proven a standout, taking an “outstanding” ten strikeouts during the win over Chinese Taipei.

The White Sox’s success has come at an ideal time, given that in August the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will vote on the inclusion of the sport in the Olympic Games.

“I think it’s good for the women’s game [in New Zealand] that we are starting to produce some credible results,” said Gettins.

A purposeful open entry has also encouraged the involvement of 31 teams in the tournament, in comparison to the typical 16.

At the time of print, the team still had one last pool game to play against defending world champions Japan, which determines whether or not they will be given a double life during playoffs this week.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,