Finishing in White

The New Zealand White Sox are still unbeaten at the Women’s Softball World Championship.

They now move through to the top-eight playoffs after beating Chinese Taipei 4-0 last Wednesday.

It is coach Kevin Gettins’ hope that the winning streak extends across the White Sox’s playoffs where games become knockout.

The championship began on an up note for the eighth-ranked team with an impressive win against Kenya (28-0), scoring 53 runs overall in their first five games.

Pitcher Rita Hokianga has proven a standout, taking an “outstanding” ten strikeouts during the win over Chinese Taipei.

The White Sox’s success has come at an ideal time, given that in August the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will vote on the inclusion of the sport in the Olympic Games.

“I think it’s good for the women’s game [in New Zealand] that we are starting to produce some credible results,” said Gettins.

A purposeful open entry has also encouraged the involvement of 31 teams in the tournament, in comparison to the typical 16.

At the time of print, the team still had one last pool game to play against defending world champions Japan, which determines whether or not they will be given a double life during playoffs this week.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con