Fun News

‘Séance’ with the spirit of Fred Phelps, former head of Westboro Baptist Church

What’s the best part of your job?

The warm inner glow of self-righteousness.

What’s the worst part of your job?

The much warmer searing glow of Satan’s home that now permeates every atom of my being and every moment of my tortured existence, from now until eternity.

Did being a member of a homophobic death cult made life harder for you in any way?

Honestly I’d heard a lot of good things about Orange Is The New Black, but I found I just really had trouble getting into it you know? Oh well, each to their own huh? Well, with some restrictions obviously.

Sam Smith or Azealia Banks?

Macklemore.

Do you have any advice for aspiring homophobes?

Bigotry is a lot like a good scam, if you want to do it successfully prey on the old and easily fooled and, above all else, have a tight web-presence.

Going Up

• Pride Week
  • Black Lives Matter
  • Pokemon Go
  • VUWSA speed dating! (88 people participated)
  • Hilary Barry and Jack Tame on Breakfast

Going Down

• Cops
  • Winter blues
  • Taking photos of screens instead of screenshotting!
  • Slow walkers
  • Stale bread

Humdingers

The Spinoff has disabled their comments section, following RNZ closing theirs. This has come after a raft of concerning comments were received in response to articles on homelessness, poetry, and sexual abuse. They also acknowledged that the comment section “means some poor young Spinoff employee has to spend part of their day wading through a cesspit of weird raging avatars each day.”

Turns out Pokemon Go was probably the first large scale privacy invasion. The app collects a whole butt-load of data about your personal movements, how long you spend where, and who else was there. The app developers, including the Pokemon Company, are more than happy to give this data over to third party service providers for ‘research’ and ‘analysis’. Gotcha!

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties