July 31, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

Last week I was really excited to launch our campaign for a Student Friendly Wellington. Along with our studentfriendlywellington.nz campaign site, we emailed regional and city council candidates and called on them to make a commitment to a 50% tertiary discount on public transport (regional council) and a rental housing warrant of fitness (city council). We’ve already had a fantastic response so far. Candidates have been in and out of my office, and we will be publishing the photos of candidates who support us on our website.

I’ve received an overwhelming student response about our Student Friendly Wellington campaign—mostly, that our commitments are common sense. In order for students to succeed at Vic we need warm and dry flats that don’t make us sick and we need fairer fares so we can afford the bus to get to the university we already pay so much for. Our commitments aren’t about political grandstanding. They’re about making genuine change in the lives of students, so that students can thrive and continue to make a significant contribution to Wellington and its economy.

We’ve also had a great response from a range of other student groups. We’re partnering with the Politics Society to organise a Mayoral debate in September, and have had messages of support from a range of other student groups including the Wellington Medical Students’ Association. The media are also picking up stories on the realities of substandard student flats as we come to the thick of the bitter winter months.

But we also need one more thing. We need you. Head over to elections.org.nz and make sure you’re enrolled with your current address. If a quarter of students voted, collectively, we could swing the election in September.

A student friendly Wellington? What a great thing that would be!

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,