July 24, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

I grew up wanting to be Cinderella.

I grew up wanting to be Cinderella. Her life seemed so perfect and wonderful, who doesn’t want a happily ever after?

Turns out we were taught wrong. We weren’t taught from these fables the most important purpose in life, which isn’t being rescued or in love. It’s shared self-love.

Many thanks to Jono for being a leader and giving me his column this week to share the importance of falling in love with your own life.

It’s up to those in power to be true with their intentions to lead us to a fairer world, not one filled with post-truth. I look to us all at VUW with our time spent learning, and hope we can all do our part imparting our knowledge to others.

This isn’t about being ignorant and standing on privilege to tell people to “lean in.” It’s not saying you believe in equality, but living a life of perpetuating equality around you. It’s about being more than just being ‘supportive’ of a better society. It’s about actively pursuing it within your own actions and interactions every day.

I’m reminded of the quote—“be the change you want to see”—when I think of growing up with Helen Clark as Prime Minister and never questioning whether as a woman I could also aspire to that. I am proud of the latest appointments of fine women by VC Grant Guildford to his senior leadership team, and to be a member of our University Council with its equal gender split.

I think of the period tax and Canada’s bravery / logic to remove it last year.

These things take time, but change is never easy.

Some final thoughts for you all out there: believe healthy relationships are the only ones worth your time. Believe you are the centre of your universe. Make your own damn fairy tale.

1