“NO DICK PIX” And other bangers from the exec meetings over the break.

The holidays meant many of you got a break; meanwhile the exec were busy slaving away over work reports, committee meetings, policy committees, and a raft of other fun and exciting endeavours. Also there was heaps of free bread—or did you miss those Snapchats and Instagrams?

The exec meetings have been about as enjoyable as spilling your cup of coffee all over yourself at eight in the morning. Your enduring and trustworthy Salient editors went along to report on them for your pleasure. During the most recent one Emma wrote Jayne a note, “honestly, kill me,” as she melted further into a puddle on the floor. The best parts, of course, are always in committee so we can’t report on the juicy details. But there have been a few stand out moments.

The Hits

• Tensions peaked at last week’s exec meeting when George tried to get access to the social media accounts. The Comms and Marketing staff member was present and didn’t appreciate their toes getting stood on. Other exec members also expressed interest in having access, but VUWSA Comm’s stood firmly with their line, “we’ll talk about it later.” George kept going only to explain that they all knew the rules: “no dick pix.”
  • Meanwhile, in the corner, Anya, sweet Anya, was knitting a sock in the round and was wearing a black turtleneck and basically just being awesome. The multi-tasking Queen.
  • VUWSA wants to own O-Week. Like a possessive friend or a jealous boyfriend, VUWSA hates that The Establishment is trying to harsh their O-Week and re-O-week vibes. George wants to license O-Week, so no one else can have it. This is, of course, because they’re worried about misleading students and not being able to provide them with the same safe space to get fucked up, as they do at all their O-Week events.
  • George wants to be a rogue agent and just buy the licensing, but the rest of the exec weren’t playing rogue with him and encouraged him to seek legal advice around copyright restrictions etc. George really hit it out of the park after Tori expressed concern with his rogue approach, as he mansplained to Tori that lawyers are actually expensive. So is reputational damage, George.

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city