Not earning a living wage is shit

Supporters of the Living Wage Movement gathered at the Hunter Lounge last Wednesday night.

VUWSA, PGSA, NZTEU, Campus Care, and E tū Union came together to provide free pizza and host a quiz in the hope of increasing awareness of the campaign for the living wage at Victoria University.

Some university staff (including library staff and cleaners) are currently earning under the living wage of $19.80.

The event included speakers from Campus Care, cleaning services, and the library who spoke of the struggles they face by earning close to the minimum wage.

Joshua James, who is employed by the library as desk assistant, earns $15.80 per hour and told the crowd “minimum wage means not living a decent life.”

He compared the amount Vice Chancellor Professor Grant Guilford earns ($520,000 a year, or $266 an hour) to the lowest paid workers at the university.

Tuamoana Williams, who works for Campus Care, spoke of how those he works with are dependent on each other due to their low wages.

“We are lucky we’ve got each other because that is how we survive,” he said.      

Eleven teams competed in the quiz, and after some confusion the winners “Mull On It” took it out, winning cans of baked beans and a fifty dollar New World voucher.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop