Not earning a living wage is shit

Supporters of the Living Wage Movement gathered at the Hunter Lounge last Wednesday night.

VUWSA, PGSA, NZTEU, Campus Care, and E tū Union came together to provide free pizza and host a quiz in the hope of increasing awareness of the campaign for the living wage at Victoria University.

Some university staff (including library staff and cleaners) are currently earning under the living wage of $19.80.

The event included speakers from Campus Care, cleaning services, and the library who spoke of the struggles they face by earning close to the minimum wage.

Joshua James, who is employed by the library as desk assistant, earns $15.80 per hour and told the crowd “minimum wage means not living a decent life.”

He compared the amount Vice Chancellor Professor Grant Guilford earns ($520,000 a year, or $266 an hour) to the lowest paid workers at the university.

Tuamoana Williams, who works for Campus Care, spoke of how those he works with are dependent on each other due to their low wages.

“We are lucky we’ve got each other because that is how we survive,” he said.      

Eleven teams competed in the quiz, and after some confusion the winners “Mull On It” took it out, winning cans of baked beans and a fifty dollar New World voucher.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip