July 31, 2016 | by  | in Music |

Plastic EP Release NZ Tour

Melbourne based band Plastic will be hitting our shores for three shows in Auckland and Wellington. The boys are no strangers to New Zealand, and in fact the majority of them can call Auckland their hometown. We caught up with them ahead of their tour to chat about butter chicken pies and what to expect since they’ve been across the ditch.

I know ¾ of you are originally from Auckland, what has the biggest change been for you moving to Melbourne?
Our tolerance for 40 degree days.  

You started out as a more folk-based group called Five Mile Town. What was the basis for changing your project?
To put it briefly, I guess we just started a new band because we weren’t Five Mile Town anymore, and none of the music we wanted to write reflected anything (we felt) we had done before. A new band needs a new band name right?

This is your first time back in New Zealand since you moved to Melbourne, how do you think Melbourne has influenced your live sound?
I’d say almost not at all. The bigger influence has just been growing as musicians and people. Melbourne is just where we’ve been while that’s been happening.

Tell us about any projects on the horizon, can we expect an album after this tour?
Our next album is going to be 3D printed. Expect a pop up gallery tour in the sea-scout halls of NZ coastal towns maybe. Either way I’m sure something plastic is next right?

What’s the best thing been about playing live for you guys?
Packing down our equipment and being too tired to party afterwards, we’re getting really good at that.

What are you all most excited for on this tour?
In alphabetical order:

• Almost breaking even.
  • Butter chicken pies from Wild Bean Cafes down State Highway One.
  • Everything else

If you could curate your own music festival line-up, who would you want to play and why?
Deerhoof playing their entire 14 album discography. That’s the full line up; no other bands.

Be sure to check out Plastic’s EP Release tour date at MOON on August 4.