Really good cheats or inefficient examiners?

Statistics have emerged from an Official Information Act request into the volume of students caught cheating in university exams across New Zealand.

In 2015 AUT took the top place with 24 cheaters, followed closely by Lincoln at 21, Auckland at 14, and Massey at 11.

Victoria sits alongside Otago University with just five people caught cheating.

Waikato were also pretty good, with just six cheaters being busted across the last three years (although they would not release a yearly breakdown).

The most common method of cheating is sneaking notes into an exam on paper, equipment, or sometimes student’s own body.

Students have also been caught stashing notes in the bathrooms to check during the exam (Your guess is as good as mine re: how they were caught).

When asked whether Victoria’s low cheating rates were a positive or negative thing, Vice-Provost Allison Kirkman said “comparing the numbers between universities depends entirely on their methods of recording breaches of their rules, so we cannot comment on what is behind Victoria’s low number of students caught cheating.”

Victoria University seems to be (mostly) breeding non-cheating students, but perhaps we are just better at getting away with it.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,