Really good cheats or inefficient examiners?

Statistics have emerged from an Official Information Act request into the volume of students caught cheating in university exams across New Zealand.

In 2015 AUT took the top place with 24 cheaters, followed closely by Lincoln at 21, Auckland at 14, and Massey at 11.

Victoria sits alongside Otago University with just five people caught cheating.

Waikato were also pretty good, with just six cheaters being busted across the last three years (although they would not release a yearly breakdown).

The most common method of cheating is sneaking notes into an exam on paper, equipment, or sometimes student’s own body.

Students have also been caught stashing notes in the bathrooms to check during the exam (Your guess is as good as mine re: how they were caught).

When asked whether Victoria’s low cheating rates were a positive or negative thing, Vice-Provost Allison Kirkman said “comparing the numbers between universities depends entirely on their methods of recording breaches of their rules, so we cannot comment on what is behind Victoria’s low number of students caught cheating.”

Victoria University seems to be (mostly) breeding non-cheating students, but perhaps we are just better at getting away with it.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop