July 24, 2016 | by  | in News Splash |

Te Puni maintenance portal turns into giant black hole

Some first-year students at Te Puni Village (TPV) are finding their living areas cold, damp, and poorly maintained after a string of maintenance requests have not been addressed.

Students fed up with the lack of action have been taking to the hall Facebook page to vent their concerns, only to be told by hall management to log their problems in the maintenance portal, where they aren’t being properly addressed and followed up.

Alleged ongoing problems include, but are not limited to, floor one of the edge building flooding on a fortnightly basis, flooding reaching residents bedrooms, women’s bathrooms not being cleaned for several months, pipes bursting, on-going lift outages, and shower floodings.

When speaking of the flooding one student told Salient that, “the fans they placed by the leak were really distracting, and the smell was unpleasant and stayed in my room for days.”

“It wasn’t very reassuring. It made me doubt the standards of the building and how much the staff at Te Puni cared about my well being,” they added.

When asked why the problems weren’t being addressed, Director of Campus Services Jenny Bentley said, “in the case of flooding, there is an ongoing issue with some water pipes that is being managed until the end of the year when the pipes are expected to be replaced.”

“In terms of cleaning, the university works closely with our contractors and we have raised a number of issues with them. We understand that some residents have raised issues about cleaning and we are working with our contractors to address these.”

Bentley further added that VUW “sets targets for responding to maintenance issues and this year at Te Puni Village, we have an excellent record of meeting those targets.”

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee said he hopes Victoria is “giving urgent attention to these issues and properly communicating the problems with residents.”

“These are some of the coldest months of the year and it’s really not nice to have mould growing in your bathroom. For those who are still having issues, I’d encourage them to approach VUWSA and we can support them in hopefully raising the issues with the right people.”

The current maintenance woes come in the wake of a heating outage on May 17 which also affected students in the edge building, and resulted in VUWSA bringing in emergency blankets and duvets to cold students.  

Students living at TPV pay between $359-$375 per week for a catered room during the standard university year.