Traci Houpapa joins the party

Traci Houpapa, Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit, has recently been appointed to Victoria University’s Council.

Houpapa replaces Dame Patsy Reddy, Dame Companion New Zealand Order of Merit, who will leave to become the Governor General of New Zealand in September.

Over her career Houpapa has raised both the profile of Māori agribusiness in New Zealand and been named one of the most influential women in the country.

The Chancellor of the University, Sir Neville Jordan, believes these accomplishments will be reflected in the university council.

“Victoria University is committed to excellence in everything it does, and this starts at the top, with its governing body… Traci will make an outstanding member. She has long promoted the development of women’s leadership and diversity in governance and is a powerful advocate for the significant contribution Māori entities and iwi make to New Zealand.”

Houpapa currently chairs the Landcorp Board, the Federation of Māori Authorities, the W3 Wool Unleashed PGP, and the National Advisory Council for the Employment of Women. She is also involved with the Waikato River Authority, PrITO, and the Asia NZ Foundation.

The university aims to have the council represent the growing profile of Victoria, both in intake of students and worldwide reputation.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,