VUWSA General Manager resigns

Over the break VUWSA’s General Manager (GM) Indigo Freya resigned from the organisation, effective immediately. VUWSA Secretary Timothy Grigg will be standing in as acting GM until a new person can be hired.

Salient became concerned about Freya’s position after her leave was extended and they were told to direct all questions and concerns that would usually be directed to the GM, to the VUWSA President Jonathan Gee. An email was sent to staff on July 7 informing them of Freya’s resignation.

“Indigo has decided to leave VUWSA to pursue new challenges and I have agreed to facilitate that decision,” Gee said in the email. He added, “I’d like to thank her for her service, and wish her well for the future.”

Grigg will be balancing the role as acting GM on top of his existing role as Association Secretary, with VUWSA reception staff taking over some of the more operational tasks.

When asked how long it would take to appoint a new GM, Gee said the process would “take time.”

“It might be a couple of months. We need to find someone who fits our culture, understands our values, and is willing to work on our strategic plan as much as the executive are.”

When speaking of Grigg’s new “bare bones GM” role, Gee said the pair “will work closely in the coming months to ensure staff are well supported to keep delivering the best deal for students.”

Freya was the first person to take over the GM role after the restructuring of VUWSA in 2014, taking up the position during the 2015 academic year.

The previous GM, Mark Maguire, resigned in July 2014, probably to pursue his true calling as a superhero. He had served five years in the role.

In between the resignation of Maguire and the appointment of Freya, VUWSA was run by a ghost.

VUWSA Advertising Manager Jason Sutton said of this period, “I don’t know what happened, there was just nobody”.

The role had been re-established and re-developed by the executive of 2014, who undertook the task of restructuring VUWSA operations.

Freya could not be reached for comment at the time of print, but Salient will update you if any new and interesting information comes to light.