Bargain town dresses no more

The sudden closing down of Valley Girl and Temt stores across the country has left 160 employees jobless.

The business was put into voluntary administration on July 22, and on August 1 receivers were sent to stores to close doors immediately.

Valley Girl Northlands store manager Angelique van Zuylen said she knew something was wrong when the store stopped receiving stock.

“Head office told staff members stock was stuck at customs and would be arriving soon, but it never did,” she says.

On top of the redundancies, most staff members have also not been paid for over a month. van Zuylen hasn’t been paid in more than four weeks now, and says she’s feeling “very stressed about the situation.”

“I feel for the staff that have children to feed and will be even worse off,” she adds.

One of two receivers, Conor McElhinney, says he “felt for the employees who are owed considerable sums of money.”

It is still unknown how much money the business owes its creditors, but it is believed the downfall may have emerged from failures in the Australian branches of the company—Paper Scissors and Chicabooti.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,