Bargain town dresses no more

The sudden closing down of Valley Girl and Temt stores across the country has left 160 employees jobless.

The business was put into voluntary administration on July 22, and on August 1 receivers were sent to stores to close doors immediately.

Valley Girl Northlands store manager Angelique van Zuylen said she knew something was wrong when the store stopped receiving stock.

“Head office told staff members stock was stuck at customs and would be arriving soon, but it never did,” she says.

On top of the redundancies, most staff members have also not been paid for over a month. van Zuylen hasn’t been paid in more than four weeks now, and says she’s feeling “very stressed about the situation.”

“I feel for the staff that have children to feed and will be even worse off,” she adds.

One of two receivers, Conor McElhinney, says he “felt for the employees who are owed considerable sums of money.”

It is still unknown how much money the business owes its creditors, but it is believed the downfall may have emerged from failures in the Australian branches of the company—Paper Scissors and Chicabooti.

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city