Bargain town dresses no more

The sudden closing down of Valley Girl and Temt stores across the country has left 160 employees jobless.

The business was put into voluntary administration on July 22, and on August 1 receivers were sent to stores to close doors immediately.

Valley Girl Northlands store manager Angelique van Zuylen said she knew something was wrong when the store stopped receiving stock.

“Head office told staff members stock was stuck at customs and would be arriving soon, but it never did,” she says.

On top of the redundancies, most staff members have also not been paid for over a month. van Zuylen hasn’t been paid in more than four weeks now, and says she’s feeling “very stressed about the situation.”

“I feel for the staff that have children to feed and will be even worse off,” she adds.

One of two receivers, Conor McElhinney, says he “felt for the employees who are owed considerable sums of money.”

It is still unknown how much money the business owes its creditors, but it is believed the downfall may have emerged from failures in the Australian branches of the company—Paper Scissors and Chicabooti.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this