August 14, 2016 | by  | in Being Well |

Being Well

It’s the week before the mid-trimester break and many of you will be working on projects, writing essays, and studying for tests while trying to balance other responsibilities, and all while coping with winter in Wellington. It’s a big challenge.

University study is demanding and potentially stressful; sometimes learning can be uncomfortable. Here are some studied and proven tips called the Five Ways to Wellbeing. These tips will support you not only while studying, but for your whole life. You can introduce any of these five actions into your life, any time, and you will begin to feel the benefits. Do what you can when you can. Learning and incorporating ways to manage yourself and your health is an art (skill), and like any skill it may take time and practice to find out what works for you. Also things will change from day to day, year to year, decade to decade: sometimes you may be abstract, other times still life or surreal; you swing between schools of thought that reflect your culture, values, and experiences.

Me Whakawhanaunga | Connect: Talk and listen. Be there. Feel connected.

Tukua | Give: Your time. Your words. Your presence.

Me aro tonu | Take notice: Appreciate the little things. Savour the moment.

Me ako tonu | Keep learning: Embrace new experiences. See opportunities. Surprise yourself.

Me kori tonu | Be active: Do what you can. Enjoy what you do. Move your mood.

More information about the Five Ways to Wellbeing can be found on the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand website. Student Health will be open during the mid-trimester break. If you have not had time to make an appointment recently you may have some spare time during the break. The flu vaccine is still available. If you have not had a flu vaccine this year please make an appointment; the vaccine is free for all students at Victoria and will definitely assist your wellbeing.  

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos