August 14, 2016 | by  | in Editorial |

Editorial—Issue 18, 2016

Art:

“What the fuck.”
“I hate art.”

“I don’t get it.”

“What does this mean.”

“You just touched it!”

“Fuck!”

“Keep your voice down.”

“God I can’t take you anywhere.”

“Sorry Mum.”

Art is instinctive; it’s an expression, it reflects something, or tells you something. Art is context bound, but also transferrable—the same piece of art touches people in many different ways.

Art can be something visually intriguing that you saw on the side of the street on your way to university, it could be a picture of your butt that you put on Instagram, or something in a traditional and ‘legitimate’ space like a gallery.

Art can be alienating if you let it, if you tell yourself that you “don’t get it,” or you’re not “doing it right.” Instead, maybe you feel whatever feelings and thoughts arise when you interact with art, and you take those things as your own legitimate response. Sometimes you can tell yourself: who cares who made the art or what they think it’s meant to mean, or its history, or its value. Sometimes you get mad and you think, “this piece of art gives me nothing so why does it exist.”

How does what you’re viewing imitate or deviate from past works of art?

You can take what you like from the works presented in this issue of Salient, you can read what the artists have written about their work, and find out how to find more of their work. These pages might seem weird to you. Maybe you feel like you don’t get it. Maybe you think some of it is cool or thought provoking but some of it is meh. Maybe in five years time you’ll remember that you saw it here first.

Why dedicate a whole issue to art? Because we can. Because art is a visual language and sometimes it’s nice to engage with images, rather than words. Because it is a challenge to ourselves and our audience to be presented with works from Wellington artists that we might not otherwise encounter.

Thank you to Ella and Ruby for coming up with this concept and helping us to bring it to fruition. Thank you to all of the artists who have created work for these pages.

Emma & Jayne xoxo.

1