August 14, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

VUWSA is here to get the best deal for students. This is why we exist. I was really pleased to have our Strategic Plan 2017-2021 formally adopted by our members at last week’s Annual General Meeting. It has been a process of rediscovery for the executive this year, asking the question, what does a students’ association mean to students in 2016?

By approving our Strategic Plan, you have said that VUWSA isn’t just here to provide free food. We aren’t just here to solely protest on the prominent issues of the day. Everything we do links back to the issues faced by students in their everyday lives. We provide free food, but we also advocate for better living conditions and ensure the university is providing an outstanding student experience. We will stand up and fight on certain issues, but those issues must link back to what students think we should fight for. Last week was an opportunity for me to reaffirm the reason we exist: to get the best possible deal for students in absolutely everything that we do.

Our 2017-2021 Strategic Goals are:

1. Establish a powerful student voice.
  2. Build collective strength with student groups.
  3. Grow our engagement with students.
  4. A strong association.
  5. A student friendly Wellington.

The Strategic Plan is not just our plan for the next five years. It’s a reaffirmation of who we are and what we stand for. It makes it very clear what our commitments are to you and tells the story of what VUWSA, together with our allies, should be doing in order to get the best deal for you during your student life.

This is only the beginning of the conversation. It was great to have such positive feedback about our strategic plan, but now it’s time for action. We look forward to working with you as we execute the strategy over the next few years.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,