Lincoln Uni is Falling Apart

Lincoln University’s Deputy Vice Chancellor, Māori and Communities, Dr Charlotte Severne has resigned from her position after just six months.

This comes after four other deputy vice chancellors have resigned from the university this year.

While Dr Severne did not comment on the matter, sources from the New Zealand Herald state she “could not get anything done” in her role.

When asked on the matter earlier this year, Vice Chancellor Robin Pollard said the previous resignations had not surprised him, as managers in senior positions had been under great stress.

“There was the Christchurch earthquakes, the university has had poor finances for some years, and there’s been a lack in internal investment—the departure of the former Vice Chancellor shook everybody.”

After receiving a $220,000 report from Ernst & Young detailing their options, Lincoln University is now considering its future.

Details of the report will remain classified until the university and the Tertiary Education Commission thoroughly consider its details.

Cindy Doull, Tertiary Education Union organiser, says a possible merger with another university was one possible option. While she believes mergers were sometimes positive, she remained skeptical on the idea.

“It may make financial sense but sometimes merging doesn’t work when there are two distinct cultures.”