August 7, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

If I began this by asking if you’re enrolled to vote in the local body elections that would be very boring and you’d probably stop reading. So I’m not going to.

Instead, I’ll start it with some riveting numbers like: students contribute TWO BILLION DOLLARS to the Wellington economy each year, and that it’s time for our local councils to make this city student friendly.

I’m also going to make this column a list, because if this was in paragraphs I probably wouldn’t read it, so I shouldn’t expect you to.  

Here’s why you should vote in the local body elections:

• They actually make decisions about things that we care about.

Councils make decisions about every aspect of this city. Their scope includes obvious things like buses and recycling, but extends to a myriad of issues affecting us every day, like lighting in that dark walkway, or job opportunities after we finish our degrees.

• We have MASSIVE potential power as a voting block.

Our voting power is quite staggering. There are 40,000 students in Wellington and at the last election only 7,500 votes were needed to win a seat on Regional Council in Wellington City. Even more ridiculous, less than 2,500 votes were needed to win a seat in the central city.

• Councils and candidates don’t expect us to vote.

There is a commonly-held belief among many candidates that students don’t vote, and therefore don’t matter. Let’s prove them wrong.

• We are really close to getting some major wins

In May when a student discount on public transport was proposed at the Regional Council, it lost by ONE vote. If we elect the right candidates, we can make this happen.

Get all you need to know about the elections: studentfriendlywellington.nz.

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city