August 14, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

Like many people who may be reading this I went to an all-boys school in regional New Zealand and, as you may imagine, the stereotypes were correct: sport is love, sport is life. From the school administration down to the student culture sport dominated—aka., hell. We weren’t allowed to attend class when the first XV played as we were forced to support a group of boys, many of whom we would never otherwise associate with due to their ‘lad’ culture. I was a weedy white nerd who played an instrument that literally translated as “bundle of sticks.” I can’t kick a ball straight.

I’m not saying sports is bad. I’m loving the Olympics right now, but sports should not take the priority in societal institutions over the arts as it currently does. And even here, at one of New Zealand’s leading ‘Arts’ focused universities, it’s taken a long time to break down some of those barriers and traditions.

This week VUWSA is proud to launch our first ever ArtsWeek that celebrates arts and culture on campus—there’s a film scoring workshop, Hip Hop dance class, stand-up comedy workshop, theatre, art tour, and, of course, a visual arts class. There’s something happening every day this week, so check out our Facebook for all the details!

Furthermore, nominations are opening for the first ever Gold and Supreme Clubs Awards! Our university has proudly awarded Blues Awards to our top sporting successes, but we became the only university left in the country to not acknowledge cultural successes as well. It’s great that not only will our top rugby players, debaters, swimmers, and sport champs get recognition, but so will our musicians, our writers, our artists, and performers.

So this week, celebrate the arts with us! We are truly blessed to living in a city as culturally vibrant as Wellington, so let’s make the most of the limited time we have here at university. And for our sporting friends, the VUWSA Faculty Games are once again coming up fast.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface