White privilege news 101

Two Lincoln University students were “bloody nervous” after discovering the house they burgled belongs to one of Auckland’s biggest brothel owners.

Thomas Steck, 22, and Richard Tattersfield, 20, caused $14,518 in damage and stole items worth $3560 from Kim Pickard’s holiday home. The pair were convicted for Great Barrier Island’s first burglary in 17 years.

Pickard owns Femme Fatale, “New Zealand’s No.1 gentlemen’s club” according to its website.

The pair encountered Pickard’s property after a short, alcohol-induced, motorboat trip at 1am on April 13.

Tattersfield did not know “how the fuck it happened.”

They gained entry by smashing a French door, before stealing important items and causing damage with an axe found at the site.

Steck, denying the burglary was premeditated, said they could only remember “glimpses” of the night.

The pair reported their actions at the Christchurch Central Police Station, handing over some of the property.

While Pickard was open to a discharge without conviction, Judge John Strettel deemed the burglary too serious and sentenced them to 150 hours’ community work.

Steck was “miffed” with the judge’s decision, saying “he knew he was going against a lot of people’s wishes.”

Losses and damages were paid for.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,