Another university crumbling to the ground

A leaked report has revealed that most staff at Unitec are worn out by the chaotic and ruthless working environment.

The report stated only ten per cent of staff would recommend working at the polytechnic.

President of Unitec’s chapter of the Tertiary Education Union, Wei Loo, said Unitec had received -56 on a staff support survey where zero was neutral.

“If we were talking about an organisation or a corporation in the business sector, -56 would warrant drastic intervention or action,” Loo said.

The dissatisfaction comes after several years of restructuring that moved an unusually high number of teaching resources online.

In some cases, students are now grouped together in broad disciplinary areas, operating more like a self-taught workplace, with industry professionals coming in as part-time tutors and lecturers.

One staff member noted that “some schools are not recommending Unitec to their students at present which is very worrying… job security is not buoyant at present.”

Unitec chief executive Rick Ede said that despite the feedback, they would not be “changing tack,” instead agreeing to slow down the rate of change.

Despite the staffing problems, Ede said the number of students unenrolling from courses was lower than it had been in previous years.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con