Another university crumbling to the ground

A leaked report has revealed that most staff at Unitec are worn out by the chaotic and ruthless working environment.

The report stated only ten per cent of staff would recommend working at the polytechnic.

President of Unitec’s chapter of the Tertiary Education Union, Wei Loo, said Unitec had received -56 on a staff support survey where zero was neutral.

“If we were talking about an organisation or a corporation in the business sector, -56 would warrant drastic intervention or action,” Loo said.

The dissatisfaction comes after several years of restructuring that moved an unusually high number of teaching resources online.

In some cases, students are now grouped together in broad disciplinary areas, operating more like a self-taught workplace, with industry professionals coming in as part-time tutors and lecturers.

One staff member noted that “some schools are not recommending Unitec to their students at present which is very worrying… job security is not buoyant at present.”

Unitec chief executive Rick Ede said that despite the feedback, they would not be “changing tack,” instead agreeing to slow down the rate of change.

Despite the staffing problems, Ede said the number of students unenrolling from courses was lower than it had been in previous years.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t