Another university crumbling to the ground

A leaked report has revealed that most staff at Unitec are worn out by the chaotic and ruthless working environment.

The report stated only ten per cent of staff would recommend working at the polytechnic.

President of Unitec’s chapter of the Tertiary Education Union, Wei Loo, said Unitec had received -56 on a staff support survey where zero was neutral.

“If we were talking about an organisation or a corporation in the business sector, -56 would warrant drastic intervention or action,” Loo said.

The dissatisfaction comes after several years of restructuring that moved an unusually high number of teaching resources online.

In some cases, students are now grouped together in broad disciplinary areas, operating more like a self-taught workplace, with industry professionals coming in as part-time tutors and lecturers.

One staff member noted that “some schools are not recommending Unitec to their students at present which is very worrying… job security is not buoyant at present.”

Unitec chief executive Rick Ede said that despite the feedback, they would not be “changing tack,” instead agreeing to slow down the rate of change.

Despite the staffing problems, Ede said the number of students unenrolling from courses was lower than it had been in previous years.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel