Another university crumbling to the ground

A leaked report has revealed that most staff at Unitec are worn out by the chaotic and ruthless working environment.

The report stated only ten per cent of staff would recommend working at the polytechnic.

President of Unitec’s chapter of the Tertiary Education Union, Wei Loo, said Unitec had received -56 on a staff support survey where zero was neutral.

“If we were talking about an organisation or a corporation in the business sector, -56 would warrant drastic intervention or action,” Loo said.

The dissatisfaction comes after several years of restructuring that moved an unusually high number of teaching resources online.

In some cases, students are now grouped together in broad disciplinary areas, operating more like a self-taught workplace, with industry professionals coming in as part-time tutors and lecturers.

One staff member noted that “some schools are not recommending Unitec to their students at present which is very worrying… job security is not buoyant at present.”

Unitec chief executive Rick Ede said that despite the feedback, they would not be “changing tack,” instead agreeing to slow down the rate of change.

Despite the staffing problems, Ede said the number of students unenrolling from courses was lower than it had been in previous years.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,