September 18, 2016 | by  | in Mates in the States |

~*~Back 2 school~*~

After exploring the US for the last month, our bubbles have officially been burst.

Following a four month hiatus from assignments, lectures, and tutorials, we’re back at it again, but this time going full throttle in the American education system. Just as you’re all preparing for the end of your trimester, we are literally just beginning ours (really sorry for taunting you with our holiday tales and pics,* we now feel your pain).

We can’t even begin to describe the differences between VUW and American University (AU), but lol, here we go anyway:

#1: Class have a maximum of 20 people, ten people on average. AND, attendance is compulsory. At VUW, you could actually never attend a lecture for the whole term and no one would ever know (asides from all you law suck-ups). But here it’s like being back at primary school, attendance is called at the beginning of class, and you get a gold star for turning up.

#2: Be prepared to talk… and get graded for it. Participation can be up to 30 per cent of your grade, professors expect you to contribute, and they know your name from the first day of classes and aren’t afraid to call you out (even lecturers are having trouble pronouncing Tessa’s name).

#3: AMST (American Studies). Yup, that’s a major here. We are both taking a class called “DC: Life inside a Monument” where we essentially visit museums and monuments every Wednesday afternoon.

#4: AU apparel. So, you know how at VUW, literally no-one wears those atrocious “Victoria University” bomber jackets you can buy at Vic Books? Ya, well, that is so not the case here. Everyone rolls around with their classic tees, sweatshirts, sweatpants, drink bottles, bags, and towels, all of which are emblazoned with: AMERICAN UNIVERSITY. There are even “AU Mom” and “AU Dad” t-shirts available (we know what OUR parents are getting for Christmas).

We are the epitome of clichés right now, sitting in a starbucks, attempting to get this column in on time, and avoiding doing our 4983497235 readings (which are also compulsory btw).

* Follow us on Snapchat / Instagram for more exciting holiday pics and tales lol (tessacullen & renpetero), #shamelessplug.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos