September 18, 2016 | by  | in Mates in the States |

~*~Back 2 school~*~

After exploring the US for the last month, our bubbles have officially been burst.

Following a four month hiatus from assignments, lectures, and tutorials, we’re back at it again, but this time going full throttle in the American education system. Just as you’re all preparing for the end of your trimester, we are literally just beginning ours (really sorry for taunting you with our holiday tales and pics,* we now feel your pain).

We can’t even begin to describe the differences between VUW and American University (AU), but lol, here we go anyway:

#1: Class have a maximum of 20 people, ten people on average. AND, attendance is compulsory. At VUW, you could actually never attend a lecture for the whole term and no one would ever know (asides from all you law suck-ups). But here it’s like being back at primary school, attendance is called at the beginning of class, and you get a gold star for turning up.

#2: Be prepared to talk… and get graded for it. Participation can be up to 30 per cent of your grade, professors expect you to contribute, and they know your name from the first day of classes and aren’t afraid to call you out (even lecturers are having trouble pronouncing Tessa’s name).

#3: AMST (American Studies). Yup, that’s a major here. We are both taking a class called “DC: Life inside a Monument” where we essentially visit museums and monuments every Wednesday afternoon.

#4: AU apparel. So, you know how at VUW, literally no-one wears those atrocious “Victoria University” bomber jackets you can buy at Vic Books? Ya, well, that is so not the case here. Everyone rolls around with their classic tees, sweatshirts, sweatpants, drink bottles, bags, and towels, all of which are emblazoned with: AMERICAN UNIVERSITY. There are even “AU Mom” and “AU Dad” t-shirts available (we know what OUR parents are getting for Christmas).

We are the epitome of clichés right now, sitting in a starbucks, attempting to get this column in on time, and avoiding doing our 4983497235 readings (which are also compulsory btw).

* Follow us on Snapchat / Instagram for more exciting holiday pics and tales lol (tessacullen & renpetero), #shamelessplug.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,