Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you

New data released by the Crown on teenage drinking habits shows more than 25 per cent of teenagers aged 15-17 chugged eight or more bevvies the last time they got wrecked.

The Health Promotion Agency surveyed more than 4000 teenagers and asked about their alcohol consumption “during their last drinking occasion.”

The survey found that over half of the respondents reported consuming more than five standard drinks, with 27 per cent drinking eight or more.

RTDs were the most popular choice of drink, followed by beer and then spirits.

Alcohol Healthwatch Director Rebecca Williams said of teenagers consuming more than five standards: “They are not in a safe space to take care of themselves. They are immediately vulnerable and if they continue drinking they are also risking being injured or poisoned.”

Last year the government launched its National Drug Policy 2015-2020 which warned that individuals who begin drinking earlier in life are more likely to engage in heavy to regular use of alcohol. This early onset then increases the rates of violence, unprotected sex, and suicide.

They are also more likely to experience drinking problems later in life.

Like J-Kwon warned us in his 2004 hit single “Tipsy”—“Teen drinking is very bad.”

1. From within the fallout zone
  2. Access Denied
  4. Ngāi Tauira
  6. Eight Things I Hate About Call of Duty
  7. Horoscope
  8. Protests against rape culture draw hundreds
  9. Capital C
  10. The Sellout — Paul Beatty

Flat out of options — what’s going on with Wellington’s rental madness?

: The words “renting crisis” have been thrown about a fair bit over the last few weeks. But do commentators and politicians get what this actually means for students and other renters struggling to find a place to live?