Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you

New data released by the Crown on teenage drinking habits shows more than 25 per cent of teenagers aged 15-17 chugged eight or more bevvies the last time they got wrecked.

The Health Promotion Agency surveyed more than 4000 teenagers and asked about their alcohol consumption “during their last drinking occasion.”

The survey found that over half of the respondents reported consuming more than five standard drinks, with 27 per cent drinking eight or more.

RTDs were the most popular choice of drink, followed by beer and then spirits.

Alcohol Healthwatch Director Rebecca Williams said of teenagers consuming more than five standards: “They are not in a safe space to take care of themselves. They are immediately vulnerable and if they continue drinking they are also risking being injured or poisoned.”

Last year the government launched its National Drug Policy 2015-2020 which warned that individuals who begin drinking earlier in life are more likely to engage in heavy to regular use of alcohol. This early onset then increases the rates of violence, unprotected sex, and suicide.

They are also more likely to experience drinking problems later in life.

Like J-Kwon warned us in his 2004 hit single “Tipsy”—“Teen drinking is very bad.”

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con