September 4, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

Election season is upon us! I’m feeling very nostalgic at the moment, thinking back two years ago when I first ran for VUWSA as Academic Vice President. Choosing to run for the VUWSA executive has been one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life, and I would encourage anyone who has a passion for students to come forward!

Five reasons you should run for the 2017 VUWSA executive:

1. Voice of students

It’s not every day that you get to say that you represent 22,000 people and work day-in and day-out to advance their interests. We are the key stakeholders at the university and a huge interest group in the Wellington region, and by serving on the Executive, you get to be the voice for those who are often unheard.

1. Be at the decision-making table

VUWSA is mandated in university policy to sit on a range of decision-making bodies alongside management and academics. We help deliberate on issues such as what new qualifications that Vic should introduce and how the Student Services Levy should be spent.

1.  Lead an organisation

VUWSA is independent from the university. We not only provide representation at the university, but also provide services which are largely managed by our staff. Our governance structure puts students at the top of the organisation. Our student executive not only represents students, but sets the strategic direction to allow the organisation to grow.

1.  People

I’ve met a huge and diverse group of people while working for VUWSA. My work involves engaging with student leaders, senior university managers, politicians, journalists, community leaders, and many more.

1.  Build student experience

Being on VUWSA allows you to play a part in building an outstanding student experience at Victoria. Whether it’s leading social events, like O-Week, on campus, or pushing for extended library hours, we help make student life better at Vic.

So what are you waiting for? Run for the VUWSA executive today!