September 11, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

Most of you won’t remember a time when we didn’t have the hub. Its predecessor, the quad, was an ugly, wet, and windy place (I did a Google image search and there were hardly any pictures of it—obvs trying to write it out of history…).

In 2013, the hub was created to be the ‘heart’ of the campus. With the VUWSA Trust contributing $12 million (VUW’s largest single donation), VUWSA aimed to ensure students were at the heart of the hub project. Today it’s a bustling place, with heaps of student-friendly spaces, largely thanks to the partnership between the university and the VUWSA Trust on the redevelopment project.

The hub has also become the heart of debate and the contest of ideas. From political debates to VUWSA’s general meetings, the hub reminds us that as a university community we should be acting as the critic and conscience of society. This week we continue to make the hub the heart of debate, with Wednesday’s Mayoral Debate at 1pm. The Mayoral Debate is your chance to hear whether candidates support a city that values students, and whether they support our vision for a Student Friendly Wellington. Let’s pack out the hub to show candidates that students care about this city.

And… we take over the hub again on Thursday, with the VUWSA Candidates Forum for those who are running in the upcoming executive elections. VUWSA is a crucial part of ensuring a powerful student voice at Vic and in Wellington, so make sure you attend to hear from the candidates and question them on how they plan to get the best deal for you.

So remember to get engaged this week and participate in one (or all) of our upcoming events in your Hub. Let’s reaffirm this space as the heart of debate in our university community.