Jimmy Neutron on campus

A Victoria University student has been awarded a $300,000 Woolf Fisher Trust scholarship to study at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom.

The recipient, honours student Liam Jolliffe, will complete a Master of Advanced Studies at Cambridge, before transitioning to study for a PhD in Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics.

Jolliffe studied at Wairarapa College before coming to Victoria to complete a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Physics.

Salient was curious if Jolliffe was actually Jimmy Neutron, however he disproved this theory: “I probably fancied myself as a Jimmy Neutron when I was younger, but I’m not sure I’m creative enough for that.”

He is looking forward to studying at a university with such an extensive history. “The university dates back to the 13th century and many of the buildings reflect this. Maths has been taught there for hundreds of years and lots of famous mathematicians went there.”  

Jolliffe intends to return to New Zealand after seeing out the scholarship, and says that this was “quite important to the scholarship committee.”

“Hopefully I will end up working at a university. Who knows, I may end up back here.”

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,