Lester Gets Set to Get Wet

Wellington mayoral candidate Justin Lester has announced a policy to establish “wet house” facilities for the homeless of Wellington.

Wet houses are residential facilities for people in need to go and sleep, drink, and eat instead of living on the street. A wet house can provide optional rehabilitation and counselling programs.

The policy is a joint effort between Lester and other Labour candidates for local body councils across the Wellington region—Paul Eagle, Brian Dawson, and Lynda McGregor.

In 2009, a proposal to establish a wet house in Island Bay fell through due to an opposition by residents and lack of funding.

If Lester is elected mayor, the wet house would be the first in New Zealand.

Lester said he plans to establish a 30-40 bed “hostel-like environment,” that provides long term accommodation and access to rehabilitation and counselling services available in Wellington.

The policy has support from Stephanie McIntyre, director of the Downtown Community Ministry—one of the primary providers of help for Wellington’s homeless.

McIntyre said the policy was “an innovative solution to a long term problem.”

Wet houses have been effective in the US, Canada, and Australia in reducing alcoholism and getting homeless people into the right rehabilitation treatment.

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city