Lincoln University on life support

Lincoln University’s fate is looking increasingly dire, with the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Robin Pollard, telling staff on August 8 that they had one year to “get a surplus or we are dead.”

Pollard later said the statement was made out of context, and that the university needed to “transform” to be “financially viable” and “flourish into the future.”

The Tertiary Education Union (TEU) has criticised Pollard for his lack of response to concerned Lincoln University staff, with Lincoln’s TEU representative, Cindy Doull, saying he is not responding to staff emails and letters asking for clarification of his comments.

Doull says Pollard’s statement has caused “a significant increase of anxiety levels” for staff and that the whole situation is a “nightmare.”

Pollard’s statement comes at a time of crisis for Lincoln University, with five deputy vice-chancellors having already resigned, and the university recording a net loss of $6 million over the last financial last year.

They are also still in the process of rebuilding campus facilities after the 2010 earthquake.

The university has already announced they will be cutting “unpopular” programs in order to save money this year, but the financial pressure still remains.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,