PM won’t pay on the first date

A Wellington man is seeking $10,000 in compensation from police after being arrested for trying to put his meal on John Key’s tab.

Kent Boyd and a friend spoke with Key at the Green Parrot in 2012, and claimed he agreed to pay their bill. Staff rejected this and Key’s security called police who later arrested Boyd and his friend. They were held overnight for theft and breaching bail of a past conviction.

Police later withdrew the theft charge and a judge ruled he hadn’t in fact breached bail. Boyd now wants Key to testify for his case against the police.

The Independent Police Conduct Authority cleared security staff of any wrongdoing, but Boyd maintains he was unable to ask Key to endorse his claim, and was arrested before being able to pay the bill himself.

Boyd’s lawyer Chris Nicholls was told a potential police settlement offer made Key’s involvement “premature.”

Key’s office denied he offered to pay and said should Key be asked to testify, “he would deal with the matter at that time.”

“The Prime Minister did not offer to pay for the men’s meals and has no knowledge of how their bill was paid,” the spokesperson added.

Police denied Boyd’s allegations and will defend the proceedings.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con