September 25, 2016 | by  | in V-ISA |

Reaching out: V-ISA International Week 2016

The annual V-ISA International Week recently concluded and it was aimed at celebrating diversity on campus. The week-long event introduced cultures from different countries, helped address and fight for issues related to international students, and created a stronger bond among the international students. 

The week kicked off with International Sports Day which helped to strengthen the bond between people through a hearty game of futsal and ping-pong.  

We continue the week with International Food Day which promoted cuisines from different countries around the world. Delicacies that were available include Singaporean curry and Vietnamese spring rolls. V-ISA also opened a stall selling traditional Thai tea and one of the executive members provided a henna service. It was heartening to see a group of students raise funds to tackle human trafficking in Asia.

Issues Night was a rare chance to bring students’ suggestions directly to the university. This conversation aims to consider whether the needs of students have been well met. We discussed five main themes including academic services, health services, financial support, student support, and career development guidance and opportunities.

We also had a Speaker Event that addressed the issues of employability, safety, and the social and academic needs of students. The guest speakers were VUW graduates, which made their experience more relatable to international undergraduates.

We ended the International Week with a closing event that was held specially for students to showcase their talents. There was a traditional Joget performance and a Dikir Barat by representatives from Wellington Malaysia Students’ Organisation (WMSO) and a street dance from Vietnam Student Association of Wellington (VSAW).

V-ISA thanks all international students for their support this year! All the best for the rest of the trimester!

1