Room for more students from China

Lincoln University’s Director of greater China, Jeff Sun, is proposing that New Zealand universities have the scope to take in at least 10,000 students a year.

From July 2015 to July 2016 5804 Chinese students came to New Zealand to study, a number just over half of the projected target.

Sun believes Chinese students typically come to New Zealand in higher numbers when the New Zealand dollar is relatively weak.

The largest wave of Chinese students came between 2001 and 2002, while the dollar was relatively weak, when 20,000 students came to study in New Zealand.

Lincoln University’s agricultural studies program has been a particularly popular destination for Chinese students, followed by IT and commerce programs across the country.

Promoting New Zealand universities to Chinese students has been an aim of Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce since he was appointed to the position.

Joyce has encouraged Chinese students to work and study here, with the hope that the New Zealand economy will grow by around $5 billion by 2025.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,