September 17, 2016 | by  | in Music |

Salient picks of Laneway

The lineup for the 2017 St Jerome’s Laneway Festival was announced last week with a new venue for the festival, Auckland’s Albert Park. The lineup features emerging local and international talent, as well as some established headline acts like Tame Impala. Salient is excited so we thought we would share some of the acts we are looking forward to.

Tim the Sub Editor: Clams Casino (United States)

2011 was the year witch-house met hip-hop: Clams Casino dropped the mixtape Instrumentals in March (which included tracks produced for Lil B and Main Attrakionz), his debut EP Rainforest in May, and somehow by October he’d produced nearly half of the tracks on Live. Love. A$AP—the first, and I would say best, release from the A$AP Rocky. The hazy instrumentals stood so well on their own, as fusions of hip-hop rhythms and drums to the melancholy witch-house aesthetic, and a five year younger A$AP Rocky gave them an unforgettable energy—I was 17, impressionable, and this was the cusp of a new sound. Yet in listening to these releases again, for the first time in a while, the awe resurfaces. You might catch me floating in the sun, enjoying the atmospheric Clams Casino at Laneway.

Kate the News Editor: Car Seat Headrest (United States)

Bringing some authenticity to the indie-rock genre that has in recent years been tarnished by indie-pop crossovers desperate for some more street cred, Car Seat Headrest fill a void you didn’t even know existed. Frontman Will Toledo is incredibly self-aware for such a young musician and has subsequently acquired a knack for producing music that is close enough to what’s current to be palatable for a wide audience, while still situating the band just ahead of the curve. The band’s latest release Teens of Denial will have you longing for experiences you haven’t had, remembering ones you’d rather forget, and feeling a bunch of emotions all too familiar for 20-somethings getting meta and figuring out life. They’re the garageband you fangirled over when you were 15 and brought back to life in your twenties, and I have no doubt they will deliver an absolutely kick arse set.

Jayne the Co-Editor: Julia Jacklin (Australia)

If my friends were to describe my music taste to you it would be “female singing to guitar,” so it only fits that I am most excited about Julia Jacklin coming to Laneways. She’s one of those artists with slashes between the genres she sort of fits in. She’s folk, she’s alt, she’s country, she’s even a bit grunge. From Blue Mountains in Australia, she is like Aldous Huxley meets Courtney Barnett with some Angel Olsen mixed in. Slurring and dreamy vocals, smooth beats, and wistful lyrics—her music is like a sleepy afternoon nap, those naps you don’t want to wake up from. Her album Don’t Let the Kids Win comes out October 7 and, if her first single “Pool Party” is anything to go by, this album will be on repeat this summer.

Emma the Co-Editor: Whitney (United States)

Whitney’s sound is smooth and indulgent, like driving with the windows down on a summer’s day. Made up of former members of Smith Westerns (Max Kakacek) and Unknown Mortal Orchestra (Julien Ehlrich), Whitney are not afraid to be earnest in their lyricism, and their debut album Light Upon The Lake is an easygoing but powerful work centred on love, loss, and tinges of hope. With sombre tracks such as “No Woman” that starts and ends with “I left drinking on the city train,” the nostalgic “Golden Days” that laments a lost relationship, and the more upbeat like “No Matter Where We Go” with lyrics like, “I wanna drive around with you with the windows down,” Whitney will have you smiling through sappy tears about the tribulations of your non-existent relationship.

Robert the Salient FM manager: White Lung (Canada)

“I will give birth in a trailer.

I’m not actually the biggest fan of punk. It just feels too messy. But White Lung released one of my favourite albums this year, Paradise, and I won’t lie I’m super stoked to be able to see it performed live. The album carries an energy and aggression that feels like it will be incredibly visceral and potent when they’re right there in front of you. With the knowledge that frontwoman Mish Barber-Way quite literally tore her vocal chords on her last tour, you know they don’t pull any punches. While I wish I could see them perform in a dirty dingy garage, I’m certainly more than happy to see them performing at Laneway next year. I just hope the acoustics are good.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,