Scarfie Watch: A Warning to the Wicked

A group of Dunedin-based students have united under the name ‘Scarfie Watch’ to battle burglaries.

Scarfie Watch grew from a MGMT 252 assignment which asked that students address a prevailing social issue.

19 year old Daniel Paten is the latest member, having joined after his bike and various friends’ belongings were stolen from their central flats.

According to Paten, encouraging attentiveness towards flat security is something “they all feel passionately about.”

The students have developed a Facebook page on which they’ll be sharing videos, advice, and stories of previous thefts.

One of the worst cases this year to occur in Dunedin’s student quarter was an intrusion by four women that left a flat absolutely devastated.

Dunedin police have struggled to determine the perpetrators, managing to link only one to a particular theft. The police stated their intention is to get the recovered property back to it’s rightful owners.

VUW students claim that despite the recent rise in thievery in Dunedin, the fear is as present as it always has been.

VUW Annie Strachan says “If you lock your door, there’s little else you can do to avoid it. It’s just frustrating that people would do it in the first place—particularly because they know what it’s like to be a student.”

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this