Scarfie Watch: A Warning to the Wicked

A group of Dunedin-based students have united under the name ‘Scarfie Watch’ to battle burglaries.

Scarfie Watch grew from a MGMT 252 assignment which asked that students address a prevailing social issue.

19 year old Daniel Paten is the latest member, having joined after his bike and various friends’ belongings were stolen from their central flats.

According to Paten, encouraging attentiveness towards flat security is something “they all feel passionately about.”

The students have developed a Facebook page on which they’ll be sharing videos, advice, and stories of previous thefts.

One of the worst cases this year to occur in Dunedin’s student quarter was an intrusion by four women that left a flat absolutely devastated.

Dunedin police have struggled to determine the perpetrators, managing to link only one to a particular theft. The police stated their intention is to get the recovered property back to it’s rightful owners.

VUW students claim that despite the recent rise in thievery in Dunedin, the fear is as present as it always has been.

VUW Annie Strachan says “If you lock your door, there’s little else you can do to avoid it. It’s just frustrating that people would do it in the first place—particularly because they know what it’s like to be a student.”

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop