Scarfie Watch: A Warning to the Wicked

A group of Dunedin-based students have united under the name ‘Scarfie Watch’ to battle burglaries.

Scarfie Watch grew from a MGMT 252 assignment which asked that students address a prevailing social issue.

19 year old Daniel Paten is the latest member, having joined after his bike and various friends’ belongings were stolen from their central flats.

According to Paten, encouraging attentiveness towards flat security is something “they all feel passionately about.”

The students have developed a Facebook page on which they’ll be sharing videos, advice, and stories of previous thefts.

One of the worst cases this year to occur in Dunedin’s student quarter was an intrusion by four women that left a flat absolutely devastated.

Dunedin police have struggled to determine the perpetrators, managing to link only one to a particular theft. The police stated their intention is to get the recovered property back to it’s rightful owners.

VUW students claim that despite the recent rise in thievery in Dunedin, the fear is as present as it always has been.

VUW Annie Strachan says “If you lock your door, there’s little else you can do to avoid it. It’s just frustrating that people would do it in the first place—particularly because they know what it’s like to be a student.”

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,