September 25, 2016 | by  | in News Splash |

Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant

Students last week gathered in the hub to discuss fee increases and other such issues with Vice-Chancellor Grant Guilford, at an event marketed as “Have a rant with Grant.”

Following a budget breakdown, Guilford spent time pointing the finger at the government for fee rises but, when asked if he would be putting the pressure on the government to get more university funding, he then rattled off something about his belief that the private vs. public debate didn’t matter.

Hot topics during the open floor were the living wage, international student fees, and the ongoing degradation of Fairlie Terrace facilities.

One international student gave Grant a grilling on what extra services international students actually received, highlighting hardships that they faced financially. Grant responded saying there was no “sensible argument” to charge less for international fees and that the price VUW charges was comparable to other universities.

“If you are seen as giving a cheap education, people aren’t likely to come,” he added.

Guilford was asked why investment wasn’t being put into fixing the Fairlie Terrace campus which suffers from mould, as well as air filtration and structural issues.

“We do not consider it injurious,” he replied.

Despite the aforementioned grievances, class feedback survey results state that 88% of students rated university services and facilities as good or above average.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con