Tension building over contentious extension

Hundreds of individuals, airlines, and residents’ associations have spoken out in opposition to Wellington Airport’s plan to build a 355 metre runway extension.

The Airport’s resource consent request for the project received 776 submissions, with 525 opposing the construction of the extension.

Air New Zealand and Qantas both said that, despite potential economic benefits, the investment in infrastructure would likely result in increased ticket prices which has the potential to reduce demand, thus having negative economic impacts.

Other individuals were concerned about the environmental impacts as well as the construction noise and cost of the project.  

Some submitters also referred to the Airline Pilots’ Association concerns regarding emergency stopping areas on the runway.

Applications in favour of the extension primarily point to the opportunity for economic growth.  Parties in favour include, Weta Workshop, World of Wearable Arts, as well as tertiary institutions such as WelTec, Whitireia, and Victoria University—who hope it will help them gain a larger stake in the international student market.

Mayoral candidates Jo Coughlan, Justin Lester, and Nick Leggett are also in favour of the extension.

The submissions will now be heard by the Environment Court as part of the resource consent process.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con