September 17, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

All over Instagram and bedroom walls are great quotes like: “If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.” — Lao Tzu

I reckon that’s 95% weapons-grade bullshit.

Little one liners looks pretty, but completely mislead and oversimplify the constant struggle between the individual and their mind. What’s a correct mind? Screw you Lao Tzu, you judgmental prick.

It’s been a pretty hard year for the relationship between my mind and I. But I think the most useful thing to remember is: whatever it is, it’s fine.

Our minds are all we have. It’s not healthy to constantly question them, criticise them, and wish they were different. Constantly trying to change one’s mind is exhausting. It makes you feel like a shell of a person, where your mind is just a furry ball of poison behind your eyes that you hate. What I mean is, accept yourself as you are.

Everyone has people who are close to them. People they respect and love, and it’s all too easy to try and be more like them. Those people are in your life because they like you as you are, not because you’re the same as them. Your preferences, loves, hates, kinks, tastes in music, the people you like or dislike, the way you act in difficult situations, those are the elements, the aggregate of which comprise your personality. That is you. There is no right or wrong and you shouldn’t change. (I mean if you’re really into punching people you don’t know then maybe have a bit of a stocktake, but in general….)

Your mind is all you have, it’s wonderful and valuable just the way it is.

Come to peace with it.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos