September 17, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

All over Instagram and bedroom walls are great quotes like: “If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.” — Lao Tzu

I reckon that’s 95% weapons-grade bullshit.

Little one liners looks pretty, but completely mislead and oversimplify the constant struggle between the individual and their mind. What’s a correct mind? Screw you Lao Tzu, you judgmental prick.

It’s been a pretty hard year for the relationship between my mind and I. But I think the most useful thing to remember is: whatever it is, it’s fine.

Our minds are all we have. It’s not healthy to constantly question them, criticise them, and wish they were different. Constantly trying to change one’s mind is exhausting. It makes you feel like a shell of a person, where your mind is just a furry ball of poison behind your eyes that you hate. What I mean is, accept yourself as you are.

Everyone has people who are close to them. People they respect and love, and it’s all too easy to try and be more like them. Those people are in your life because they like you as you are, not because you’re the same as them. Your preferences, loves, hates, kinks, tastes in music, the people you like or dislike, the way you act in difficult situations, those are the elements, the aggregate of which comprise your personality. That is you. There is no right or wrong and you shouldn’t change. (I mean if you’re really into punching people you don’t know then maybe have a bit of a stocktake, but in general….)

Your mind is all you have, it’s wonderful and valuable just the way it is.

Come to peace with it.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop