September 17, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

All over Instagram and bedroom walls are great quotes like: “If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.” — Lao Tzu

I reckon that’s 95% weapons-grade bullshit.

Little one liners looks pretty, but completely mislead and oversimplify the constant struggle between the individual and their mind. What’s a correct mind? Screw you Lao Tzu, you judgmental prick.

It’s been a pretty hard year for the relationship between my mind and I. But I think the most useful thing to remember is: whatever it is, it’s fine.

Our minds are all we have. It’s not healthy to constantly question them, criticise them, and wish they were different. Constantly trying to change one’s mind is exhausting. It makes you feel like a shell of a person, where your mind is just a furry ball of poison behind your eyes that you hate. What I mean is, accept yourself as you are.

Everyone has people who are close to them. People they respect and love, and it’s all too easy to try and be more like them. Those people are in your life because they like you as you are, not because you’re the same as them. Your preferences, loves, hates, kinks, tastes in music, the people you like or dislike, the way you act in difficult situations, those are the elements, the aggregate of which comprise your personality. That is you. There is no right or wrong and you shouldn’t change. (I mean if you’re really into punching people you don’t know then maybe have a bit of a stocktake, but in general….)

Your mind is all you have, it’s wonderful and valuable just the way it is.

Come to peace with it.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip