September 17, 2016 | by  | in Books |

What are Vic Books reading?

This week Salient asked the folk at Vic Books, who have the delight of getting advance copies of new releases, if they would tell us about the books they’ve been reading. Pop into Vic Books Kelburn or Pipitea to reserve or buy a copy of any one of these books.

Juliet is reading…

The Atomic Weight of Love

Author: Elizabeth J. Church

Publisher: Harper Collins

A debut novel from Church, set in the 70s in New Mexico. The narrative follows Meridian Wallace, who sets her dreams of being an ornithologist aside after falling in love a professor 20 years her senior. Meridian grows oppressed by the marriage, yearning to study birds. At times the novel feels a bit cheesy, and it definitely feels like a debut. But it still overcomes itself: this is a great book of women’s liberation, and makes a great weekend read.

Marion is reading…

Beck

Author: Mal Peet

Publisher: Walker Books

This is an epic story for YA readers, older teens, and adults, from the award-winning author Mal Peet. Beck is a sweeping coming of age story that reads softly about hard issues. This is Peets’ lost novel; he died before it was finished, but had asked his good friend Meg Rosoff, another well-loved YA author, to finish it for him. Set in the Depression, as experienced by a black man, it is a story of survival and romance.

Luke is reading…

The Nix

Author: Nathan Hill

Publisher: Penguin RandomHouse

Sitting at 620 pages, this is an epic novel spanning decades of American history from 1968 to 2011. This is also a debut novel and an ambitious one. This book is funny and self deprecating. There are many threads and the narrative pulls you through the book, with enjoyable and accessible writing.

Jayne is reading…

Swing Time

Author: Zadie Smith

Publisher: Penguin RandomHouse

Her first novel since 2012, Smith says it focuses on “two brown girls [who] dream of being dancers.” They live in the projects in Britain and Smith paints the toughness of this world well. The children are obsessed with the vaudeville—taking tap dance classes after school. The novel is 400 pages long and spans decades over which the characters grow, and, as things become more politically fraught around them, their once strong friendship slowly breaks apart. The characters are in many ways a vessel to take a look at the time they grow up in.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,