September 25, 2016 | by  | in Women's Group |

Women’s Space

I’ll be honest here and say that one of life’s greatest satisfactions is undoubtedly the moment I get to cross something off a to-do list. Dorky, I know, but there just really isn’t anything that can match the moment you conquer some small mountain and remove some niggling task from your mind.

Unfortunately its not so easy to cross “destroy patriarchal power structures and facilitate spaces for individuals to inhabit that are free from all forms of discrimination” off a to-do list. This leaves me thinking about the feminist movement and if feminist work will ever be ‘done’. It seems to me that the work feminism must do is always changing and so too, then, must feminists themselves change.

Although it can often feel like absolutely no progress has been made in the last century, we must also acknowledge that the goals and pursuits of suffragettes is very different to conceptualizations of feminism in 2016. For me one of the big points of modern feminism is intersectionality. An ~intersectional feminist~ understands that people are oppressed in intersecting ways and so fighting for women’s rights is more than just fighting for white women to get paid more.

As a feminist, the work that I want to do has changed in its focus. With all of my actions, which ones are specifically feminist and which ones are just me? Will I ever be able to remove the patriarchy from my list and move on to other worthy pursuits? I think I’m asking good questions, but unfortunately I can’t see answers being realised any time soon.

Asking these questions is tiring, but so is fighting for the basic human rights of individuals in our communities and across the globe. I’d like to shout out to all my people who are soldiering on with the endless and tiring stream of work to be done within feminism and associated realms. This is a reminder to look after yourselves too. Much love. <3 <3

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t